Practically everyone wants to lose some weight. Whether it be 5 pounds, 50 pounds or 150 pounds, we all want to drop some fat. I'm going to give you a complete list of the proven things you need to do to lose weight. Stick to these things and you will see a change.
Change Your Diet
This may either come as a blessing or a curse but it's the truth. The majority of the impact on your weight will be how you eat, not how much you exercise. It is easier to cut out 100 calories from a meal than it is to burn 100 calories at the gym. So this is what you're going to do.
- Cut down on carbs especially things like bread. Instead of making a sandwich, opt for a wrap with a corn tortilla.
- Cut the crap. Chips, cookies, chocolate, fried food, pop, these all need to go. I know that these are the things we all live for but you can always find alternatives.
- Eat more veggies. Vegetables are extremely low calorie. One of my favourite dishes is boiled broccoli which I then strain and cook up with some vegetable stock. Tastes just like chop suey from my favourite Chinese restaurant but only has about 60 calories. Eat your favourite vegetables in whatever way you can, provided they're not deep fried.
- Eat soup. Not just any soup mind you, broth based soup. They're very easily and quickly made at home. Put some water in a pot, add a stock pot, some veggies, maybe some chicken and some noodles if you feel like it. Broth based soups are very filling while being low calorie.
- Cut out alcohol. I know no one wants to hear this but it's got to be done. You don't have to stop it entirely, you can enjoy it every now and then but drinking it consistently is just empty calories. Not to mention the fact that it literally is poison you're drinking.
- Drink water. I know you hear this all the time but it's true. It helps your body preform all the necessary things it needs to keep you healthy. Carry a water bottle around with you and always be drinking. Your pee should be almost clear, that's how hydrated I want you. As well, drinking more water will help you feel fuller. A lot of time when people think they're hungry, they're really just dehydrated so drink up. You can also have tea if water is too boring for you. As long as you're drinking that H2O.
This doesn't mean you have to spend every waking minute in the gym, although that would help. You can do as little as walking a bit every day. Do as little or as much as you can. But keep in mind, that people who do both cardio and strength training exercises burn 30% more calories so try to work in both. You can find tons of tutorials on YouTube for any kind of exercise for any fitness level. The more you exercise, the easier it will get. It will also decrease stress and lower your resting heart rate. On days when I do heavy exercise, my resting heart rate is an average of 1 bpm lower than days when I don't.
Go to Bed
They tell you all the time that sleep is important. Because it is. Your body needs sleep to function properly. As well, if you don't get enough sleep, they next day you're gonna be groggy and not want to exercise and not want to eat healthily. You'll get take out and veg out on the couch. We all know it's true.
There are tons of resources online for people trying to loose weight.
- One of my favourites is Myfitnesspal. It's a site and app where you can log all your food and exercise to track calories in vs calories out. It has a data base of pretty much every food on earth allowing you to scan the barcodes on your food to enter it. You can also enter your own recipes for repeat use. It keeps track of your calorie deficit so the more calories you burn, the more you're allowed to eat that day.
- If you struggle with motivation, start a weight loss Instagram to help keep you to it. This will build a community of like minded people and support.
- You can always find tons of blogs and forums of people also struggling with weightloss that you can connect with. Twinbody is a good site for finding people making real progress to help inspire you.
That's pretty much it. Follow these things and you will see changes. I was already rather fit and I lost 15 pounds in 3 months not even sticking to it that strictly. I still ate out and drank a lot but I also walked a lot and ate lots of soup and veggies. Small changes can make a world of a difference. These are the proven ways to lose weight. You've all heard them before but nobody wants to believe it. Everyone is looking for some miracle cure but there isn't one. It's hard work and discipline but you'll get there and your body will thank you.