Longevity is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Have you ever stopped to think about the details of life we take for granted in our everyday lives? Probably not. Most people never really know why our world is the way it is. They just think it’s that way. Many do not realize how our Earth really functions, or how roads and cities were made. Ask a person on the street what it takes for a car to move, you’ll get a blank stare or get an answer like: "you push your foot to the gas, duh." Or did you know Russia’s landmass is bigger than all of Pluto? Many people don't don't really know how or why the world works. But if you do, you’re part the 1 percent that does, so read this list with pride. But if you are like the rest of us, get ready to be astonished by all the facts about life you never knew.
• A million seconds is equal to 11 days.
• A billion seconds is equal to 31 years.
• You can drive to outer space within a day if you drove straight up.
• In 100 years everyone on Facebook and Twitter will be dead.
• In 30 minutes, your body gives off enough heat to boil 30 gallons of water.
• At some point in time, you will be the next person to die on Earth.
• Bathtubs are the opposite of boats.
• Tongues can distinguish more than a billion flavors.
• The average human sheds about four kilograms of skin a year.
• Most of the dust underneath your bed is your own dead skin.
• When you’re asleep you’re basically blind.
• When awake, the electricity in our brain can power a small light bulb.
• If you were on another planet 64 million light years away and could use a telescope to see Earth, you would see dinosaurs roaming the land.
• Mammoths and saber-tooth tigers were still roaming the Earth when the pyramids were just getting built.
• All of Russia’s land mass is larger than all of Pluto’s.
• All planets, in the Solar System can fit lined up next to one another between the distance of Earth and the Moon.
• The human brain is the most complex thing in the Universe known to man, according to the human brain.
• The person who proofread Hitler’s speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.
• There are more foreign bacterial cells in the human body than actual human cells.
• There is no scientific or linguistic reason why the alphabet is in the order it is in.
• The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
• We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behavior.
• You can only see your face in photographs and in the mirror.
• The majority of people you see walking on the street you will never see again in your life.
• Your age is actually the number of times Earth has traveled it’s orbit around the Sun since you were born.
• You’re not technically stuck in traffic, you are actually in the traffic.
• Almost every element in your body was made in an exploding star.
• Humans can distinguish at least a trillion smells.
• Your nose can remember about 50,000 different smells.
• Sleeping less than seven hours a night lowers your life expectancy.
• The sun makes up more than 99 percent of the mass of the solar system.
• Adults have fewer bones than a babies.
• Over the span of your life, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
• There are about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in a human body.
• You CAN’T actually see the Great Wall of China from space.
• Have you ever tried to breathe and swallow at the same time? You actually physically can’t. Humans can’t breathe and swallow at the same time.
• Every atom in your body is at least a billion years old.
• 20 percent more people die of a heart attack on a Monday.
• Bees sense a flower’s electric field and use it to find pollen, like a shark can sense blood a mile away.
• During the ice age, 32,000 years ago, a squirrel buried a seed. Now a flower is growing from it today.
• The world’s oceans contain 20 million tons of gold.
• Much like fingerprints, we all have tongue prints too.
• If the oceans dried out, the salt left over would cover the continents to a depth of 5'.
• There’s a 3.5" aluminum art sculpture on the moon.
• In every human body, there is enough atom energy to supply 20 cities with more than one million inhabitants with energy.
• A Sun’s proton takes eight minutes to travel from Sun’s surface to reach your eyes.
• Humanity’s life expectancy has doubled over the last 150 years. In another 150 years we could possibly live to almost 150 to 200 years old.
• In the history of the Earth, humanity is closer in time to when the Tyrannosaurus Rex roamed the Earth than the T-Rex was to when the Stegosaurus roamed the Earth.
• Birds are technically and scientifically modern day dinosaurs.
• Ten tons of space dust falls the Earth in one day.
• Your body has enough iron in it to make a 3" metal nail.
• If you drink apple juice before bed, you will hallucinate in your dreams. Apple juice can help produce extra chemicals that make you have vivid dreams that are called acetylcholines.
• 2 percent of all people on Earth have red hair.
• Your heart mimics the music you listen to.
• Tiger shark embryos in the mother’s womb fight each other to the death. The winner is born.
• When a tiger roars, you can hear it 2 miles away.
• 10 percent of the world’s population is illiterate. That’s 700 million people. Twice the amount of people than all of the United States total population.
• A human head remains conscious for approximately 15 seconds after it has been decapitated.
• A whole ecosystem actually lives in your belly button.
• Turritopsis nutricula jelly fish can live forever by reverting back to their early stage of life.
• Americans spend 38 hours a year in traffic.
• Our Sun is just one star out of 300 sextillion (3 trillion times 100 billion, or a 3 followed by 23 zeros) in our universe.
• Each day, our heart produces enough energy to drive a truck for 20 miles.
• The longest record time anyone has ever gone without sleep is 11 days.
• Over 90 percent of diseases are caused or complicated by stress on the body.
• We have no sense of smell when we are sleeping.
• Within three days after death, the enzymes that helped you digest, start to eat you.
• Our fingernails grow almost four times faster than our toenails.
• Each day on Earth, sexual intercourse occurs 120 million times.
• Our feet can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
• If you're reading this sentence, every choice you ever made had led up to this moment.