Longevity is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Do you want to know how to gain muscle whilst losing fat? Read below to find out how!
I first went to the gym in 2008 as a 6-foot 1-inch boy aged 15, and weight roughly 9 stone (130lbs). Today, I am roughly 15.5 stone at roughly 10% body fat. I was, at my heaviest, roughly 17 stone.
It’s taken me years of building knowledge, but I can finally now give my advice to you in terms of training, cardio and diet.
But to begin with, let’s start with 5 core principles:
- Body-building/losing weight/retaining muscle is a process of consistency. Without consistency, your results will be limited.
- Bodybuilding is a "lifestyle" choice. Get into good habits.
- To get results, you will need to train at least 4 times a week.
- Eating food every 2-3hrs will be key in maintaining your size, recovery, and building lean muscle.
- Food is fuel—this is an essential mindset shift.
Below is an essential guide in how to build lean muscle and lose fat.
Note: IN THE WEEK training should be an 1hr long.
- 10 mins on incline treadmill @ 6mph.
- 40 mins weight training on a specific body part
- 10 mins "hit training." 1-minute run, 30 second rest and repeat.
Note: Every workout at the WEEKEND is over 1hr (as you are likely to have more time).
- 15 minutes on incline treadmill @6mph
- 40 minutes weight training on a specific body part
- 30- 40-minute cardio – incline fast passed walk (slow burn cardio)
Note: Train legs twice a week. Training legs releases natural testosterone which helps build lean muscle and lose fat.
- Monday – Chest & triceps
- Tuesday – Back & biceps
- Wednesday – Legs (light) – calves, hamstrings, quads
- Thursday - Shoulders
- Friday – Bicep & Triceps
- Sunday – Legs (heavy) – quads and hamstrings
Note: If order to build lean muscle and to lose fat, you need to eat well at the right times.
General diet advice:
- Only eat carbs (sweet potato, small cup full of brown rice etc) before and after workouts. Do NOT eat carbs at any other times in the day unless your very physically active.
- Good fats are your best friend—avocado, brazil nuts, almonds, coconut oil etc. Eating good fats helps train your body to burn into body fat as opposed to glucose from carbs.
- You will need to buy at least £30-£40 worth of food for a week, eating 4-6 small meals a day.
- DO NOT eat big meals. Consistent small meals are key.
- Avoid sugars like the plague. You will get natural sugars from food anyway.
- Keep hydrated – drink 3-5 litres of water a day.
- When dieting caffeine is your friend – black coffee helps curb your hunger and will stop you eating fatty foods.
General Rules of Thumb
- Eating the rights foods at the right times is important. Eating carbs at 10pm is bad, as opposed to eating them at 10am in the morning before your workout.
- Consistency is the key!
List of essential foods to buy:
- Meat: Chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey, eggs, haddock
- Good fats: Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, asparagus, almonds, brazil nuts
- Fibre: Spinach, vegetables, kale
- Slow burning carbs: Sweet potato, brown rice, oats, brown toast
Example of Dietary Plan for a Day:
Meal 1 (Breakfast): Oats, protein shake (if not sub this for 4-6 egg whites), banana, hand full of almonds.
Meal 2 (Post workout meal): Two chicken breasts (cooked in olive oil), sweet potato, kale
Meal 3 (Lunch): Two Salmon fillet, avocado, salad
Meal 4 (Mid-afternoon meal): Two Chicken breasts & vegetables
Meal 5 (Dinner): 4-6 eggs whites & a hand full of almonds