Longevity is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Most people fart about 14 times a day. Now look around your office or home. How many farts occur daily in that space? *Cringe* I’m not trying to gross you out here! I’m trying to inform you with amazing facts about the human body. While they’re not all that gross, they are all equally interesting and fascinating. Some of them will have you saying “Wow!” while others leave you in a deep thought for the rest of the day. And the rest may have you counting your farts. Okay, okay! Enough with the fart jokes! Either way, amazing facts about the human body will definitely force you to think about the skin your in, and all the veins, bones, cells and organs underneath in a completely different way.
- Every individual has a particular smell.
- Your hearing is less sharp when your stomach is full.
- Sound dilates your pupils.
- Only one-third of the population has perfect 20/20 vision.
- The nose recognizes up to 50,000 scents, and can associate memories to them.
- You can only taste things that can be dissolved by saliva.
- Women are better at identifying scents than men.
Skeletal and Muscle System
- It takes more muscles to frown than to smile.
- One quarter of the total bones in your body are in your feet.
- At birth we have 300 bones, but by adulthood that is reduced to 206.
- Bone is stronger than some types of steel.
- You shrink about 1 cm over the course of the day.
- The tooth is the only part of the body that doesn't repair itself.
- The tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
- It takes 200 muscles to take one single step.
- The jawbone is the strongest bone in your body.
- The brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb.
- A nerve impulse can travel around the brain at about 170 mph.
- People with higher I.Qs dream more often.|
- The brain is 80% water.
- Brain storage is similar to about 1,000 terabytes.
- 20% of oxygen intake is used by the brain.
- The brain does not have pain receptors, therefore cannot feel actual pain.
- Brain neurons grow along with the rest of the body.
- Your brain is more active at night than during the day.
Hair, Skin, and Nails
- Facial hair grows faster than the rest of your body hair.
- You lose approximately 75 strands of hair per day.
- It takes losing about 50% of the hairs on your head for other people to notice.
- Toenails grow 4 times slower than fingernails.
- Providing no trauma, each hair strand's lifespan is about 6 years.
- Humans have the same amount of hair per square inch as a chimp.
- Blondes have the thickest, densest hair.
- Men's hair shaft is twice the diameter of women's.
- Your middle finger nail grows faster than the rest of your nails.
- One strand of hair can support two full sized candy bars.
- A sneeze exits the body at 100 mph; a cough at about 60 mph.
- Earwax maintains ear health.
- Most people fart 14 times a day.
- Men blink half as much as women.
- A full bladder is about the same size as a softball.
- You could fill two olympic sized pools with the amount of saliva you produce over a lifetime.
- Three-fourths of human waste is water.
- Feet have over 500,000 sweat glands.
- The small intestine is the human body's largest organ.
- Adrenal glands, which release stress hormones, shrink throughout your lifespan.
- The heart pumps blood so strongly that if punctured, it could spray up to 30 ft.
- It's possible to survive with the removal of multiple organs, including the spleen, appendix, and one kidney.
- Stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve some metals.
- Because of the placement of the heart, the left lung is smaller than the right lung.
- If you were to connect all of your blood vessels laterally, they could span 60,000 miles.
- The aorta, the largest artery in the body, has the same diameter as a garden hose.
- Your stomach lining replaces itself everyday 3 to 4 days.
- Women have a naturally faster heart rates than men.
- A lung's total surface area is equal to that of a full sized tennis court.
- The liver has at least 500 different functions.
- The female egg is the largest cell in the human body; the male sperm is the smallest.
- Hormones released during the first trimester of pregnancy often cause dreams about potted plants, frogs, and worms.
- Teeth start growing on a fetus after 3 months in the womb.
- Babies always appear to have blue eyes at birth.
- Only 4% of the world’s population are having sex at any given time on any day.
- At conception, human beings spend about 30 minutes as a single cell.
- Testosterone production can cause an erection every 90 minutes during the sleep cycle.
- A baby has unique fingerprints 3 months after conception.
Damage and Disease
- Monday is the most common day for a heart attack to occur.
- We can survive longer without food than sleep.
- After sunburn, it can take up to 15 months for blood vessels to return to their normal condition.
- Relax, only 90% of diseases are brought on, or complicated by, stress.
- The brain can remain conscious for almost 20 seconds after decapitation.
- Type O is the most common blood type among the human population.
- Lips are red because of how close the blood capillaries are to the skin's surface.
- Every tongue has a unique tongue print.
- Outer skin cells shed and regrow approximately once a month.
- The adult human body produced no less than 30 billion new cells every day.
- 300 million cells die in our bodies every minute.
- You could make a small nail with all the iron in our bodies.
- Sleeping in a cold room could cause more nightmares.
- Mucous and tears contain the same enzyme that kills bacteria.
- The cleft between the nose and the upper lip is called the philtrum.
- Humans, primates, and koalas are the only species in the animal kingdom with finger prints.
- Men burn fat at a faster rate than women.
- It's impossible to tickle yourself.
- Left-handed people have shorter lifespans than right-handed people.
- Only humans can produce emotional tears.
- You could boil water in 30 minutes with heat given off from the body.
- You create more earwax when you are frightened.