Longevity is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
1. Let's start with the hardest one! Try to dine and go to bed roughly at the same time (Pro tip: take your time between those two things). This way, your body has a routine and does not need to adapt to an unpredictable rhythm, thus, easier sleep comes.
2. "Oh, well, you're going to mention stress, too," you think. And you were right! There are many cool practices for stress management—one is meditation, and the other one is a longer session at a psychologist. However, if you cannot let all of the stress factors go away, it is worth trying to at least strive for it. For example, doing sports in the evening can be a good way to lessen anxiety and stress (not to mention some other positive aspects).
3. Get away from your phone! No, do not weep for the pre-modern times to come back and make society better. Do not bother with the phone in your bed, under the "imjustgoingtocheckfacebook" code word. In addition, the light of the phone hitting your eyes in the darkness makes you more alert to the many incoming pulses, leading to less sleep.
4. Is the evening program an exciting book, a movie, or maybe a few hours of computer games? Great idea! Just before you go to bed, there might be a lot of excitement in your body, but if you can get that out of your system, you will be in for a good night of sleep. Work and emails can wait until tomorrow morning.
5. It is better to excise stimulants: say goodbye to coffee, black tea, cigars, and alcohol! While many people swear that a glass of red wine after a long day has a very beneficial effect before sleeping, if you want to establish sleeping habits, you better strive to sleep without it, or you can swipe into a vicious spiral so that you can only sleep with alcohol.
6. Maybe it sounds odd at first, but it is not recommended to drink long before bed, because in the middle of the night, your bladder is a ticking bomb, and many times, it's hard to fall asleep after you go to the bathroom. If you drink throughout the day regularly, you will not feel thirsty in the evening. In fact, many people confuse hunger and thirst, so there is also a greater chance of avoiding overnight eating.
7. According to scientific studies, calm sleep is possible with no more than 20-25 decibels. We all suspect that there may be a number of pitfalls in everyday life, from a bypassing suitcase running through the cobblestones through the neighbourhood late night or evening, to summer festivals echoing at three districts. For example, a busy street can rattle over 70 decibels. We can protect ourselves against noise pollution with soundproof windows.
8. If you've excluded the distracting factors from the outside, get them out of your bedroom too! Noise can come from our bedroom as well, for example, a ticking alarm clock. So even if you think you are accustomed to its voice, it's better to find a place for it at another point of the apartment. The same thing is with confusing light effects; for instance, if your laptop or any other electronic device is plugged into a charger.
9. The temperature and the air of the room also matter a lot. Usually, the 17-18 degree night temperature is ideal. Many people consider it too low, but it is worth trying out to see how your body responds to it. The other is regular aeration: you can breathe a little air in the room even in winter.
10. Choosing the perfect mattress is difficult, but it's a tremendously important matter, especially if you lay on it for more than eight hours. Believe me, if you do not support your body at the right points, you will be distracted by the next morning.